How many hours of real development work do we do during the week?
So, we claim to work 40 hour week. I will put some average time that we spend on project activities and other personal things wee do so we can estimate how much time we loose.
Each working day has 8 hours of work. During this 8 hours we spend an hour on lunch that I’m not including in here. Then:
- Iteration planning meeting: 1 hour
- Morning stand-up: 5 times 10 minutes (average)
- Dev huddle: 5 times 5 minutes
- Story signup: depends on number of stories but let’s give it 20 minutes in entire week.
If we say we have meetings or discussions with clients on requirements etc. spending 30 minutes on it during whole week is optimistic average.
I’m not including Retrospectives and Longer meeting with a clients. Bug fixes dropped into development as well. So we have 2 hours and 5 minutes out.
Now, doing stuff not related to project:
- Snacking/Eating/Coffee/Tea/Cigarette 5 time 30 minutes
- Toilet visits 5 times 15 minutes (:))
- Checking emails 5 times 15 minutes
- Catching up with blogs, news, etc. 5 times 10 minutes
It sums into 5 hours and 50 minutes.
So all together it is 8 hours. That means one full day of development is out. 32 hours working week.
If we have lunches included into working time then we need to take 5 times 30 minutes to 1 hour. This can turn down into another day of work out. This leaves us with 3 days of development. 24 hours of pure work. It is one full day and night of work 🙂
Imagine this, spending one full day on meetings stories signup, gaining knowledge. When that’s done, full 24 hours of work. After that 5 days weekend 😀 If only human capabilities could make it possible then it is not a bed perspective.
Keep up the good work developers 🙂